top of page

Zen - Den Cotswolds

Public·18 friends
Charles Nekrasov
Charles Nekrasov

Old Time Rock Roll

"Old Time Rock and Roll" is a song written by George Jackson and Thomas E. Jones III, with uncredited lyrics by Bob Seger.[1][2] It was recorded by Seger for his tenth studio album Stranger in Town. It was also released as a single in 1979. It is a sentimentalized look back at the music of the original rock 'n' roll era and has often been referenced as Seger's favorite song. The song gained renewed popularity after being featured in the 1983 film Risky Business. It has since become a standard in popular music and was ranked number two on the Amusement & Music Operators Association's survey of the Top 40 Jukebox Singles of All Time in 1996.[3] It was also listed as one of the Songs of the Century in 2001 and ranked No. 100 in the American Film Institute's 100 Years...100 Songs poll in 2004 of the top songs in American cinema.

Old Time Rock Roll

All I kept from the original was: "Old time rock and roll, that kind of music just soothes the soul, I reminisce about the days of old with that old time rock and roll". I rewrote the verses and I never took credit. That was the dumbest thing I ever did. And Tom Jones (Thomas E. Jones) and George Jackson know it, too. But I just wanted to finish the record [Stranger in Town]. I rewrote every verse you hear except for the choruses. I didn't ask for credit. My manager said: "You should ask for a third of the credit." And I said: "Nah. Nobody's gonna like it." I'm not credited on it so I couldn't control the copyright either. Meanwhile, it got into a Hardee's commercial because I couldn't control it. Oh my God, it was awful![5][6]

"Old Time Rock and Roll" achieved substantial album-oriented rock radio airplay[12] and as the fourth single from Stranger in Town, it reached number 28 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1979. It was re-released in 1983 after its inclusion in the film Risky Business and reached number 48 on the Billboard chart.[13] The song remains a staple on classic rock radio.

In 2000, the British rock band Status Quo recorded a version of this song for their album Famous in the Last Century. They played it on Top of the Pops and released it as a single which charted in the UK Singles Chart (No. 83)[18] and Norway (No. 4).[citation needed]

The song was featured in the 1983 film Risky Business, starring Tom Cruise. Cruise's character, Joel Goodson, famously lip-syncs and dances in his underwear as this song plays after his parents leave him home alone. In 1986, the song was also featured in the TV series ALF, in a caricature of the aforementioned Tom Cruise scene, in which Alf has similarly been left home alone and trashes the house.[19] Activision created a series of Guitar Hero: World Tour television commercials directed by Brett Ratner based on the scene, each featuring a different set of celebrities lip-syncing to the lyrics while using the new instrument controllers. The first ad included athletes Kobe Bryant, Tony Hawk, Alex Rodriguez, and Michael Phelps.[20] The song is also featured in episodes of The Nanny, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, South Park, Scrubs, and The Flash. Steve Harrington briefly sang it in an episode of season 1 of the Netflix television series Stranger Things. It was also used in the teaser trailer for Garfield: The Movie.

Combining social history with a treasure trove of trivia, Richard Aquila unleashes the excitement of rock's first decade and shows how the music reflected American life from the mid-1950s through the dawn of Beatlemania. His year-by-year timelines and a photo essay place the music in historical perspective by linking artists and their hits to the news stories, movies, TV shows, fads, and lifestyles. In addition, he provides a concise biographical dictionary of the performers who made the charts between 1954 and 1963, along with the label and chart position of each of their hit songs.About the AuthorAbout the AuthorRichard Aquila is a professor of history and American Studies at Penn State Erie, The Behrend College. His books include Wanted Dead or Alive: The American West in Popular Culture.Also by this authorReviewsReviews"A nostalgic, trivia-laden book that looks at the early years of rock 'n' roll and the societal context in which it was formed. . . . A fine compendium on the subject, certain to make misty-eyed all those who came of age in the 1950s."--Booklist"[A] perfect bridge between the puff that often characterizes studies of the period and the scholarly tomes that can bore all but the dedicated student of the era."--Chattanooga Times Book Details Pages: 424 pages Dimensions: 6 x 9.125 in Illustrations: 50 black & white photographs Cultural StudiesHistory, Am.: 20th C.MusicPopular CultureReference & BibliographySouthern History & Culture Related Titles google.books.load();function initialize() var viewer = new google.books.DefaultViewer(document.getElementById('viewerCanvas')); var canvas = document.querySelector('.viewer-bg'); var previewBtn = document.getElementById('preview-button') previewBtn.addEventListener('click', ()=> canvas.classList.add('active') //alert(res); //viewer.load('ISBN:'+res, alertNotFound); //var viewer = new google.books.DefaultViewer(document.getElementById('viewerCanvas')); var a = Array('ISBN:9780252069192'); viewer.load(a, alertNotFound); ) var closeBtn = document.querySelector('.close-viewer'); closeBtn.addEventListener('click', ()=> canvas.classList.remove('active') )function alertNotFound() var canvas = document.querySelector('.viewer-bg'); var error = document.createElement('h2'); error.innerText = 'No Preview Available For This Title.'; error.style.color = 'white'; error.style.textAlign = 'center'; canvas.appendChild(error)google.books.setOnLoadCallback(initialize); X function OptanonWrapper() Stay Connected Join Our Mailing List Copyright 2023

Old Time Rock & RollArtist: Bob Segerarr. Kirby Shaw - Hal Leonard Corporation"Just take those old records off the shelf, I'll sit and listen to 'em by myself. Today's music ain't got the same soul, I like that old time rock and roll..." Boogie down with this smokin' show choir arrangement of the 1979 hit by Bob Seger! One of the most popular singles of all time, it was also used in a classic scene in the 1983 film "Risky Business."Select a ProductPreviewMy LibraryDescriptionNumberLevelPriceQtyCurrently ViewingSATB #10278881Titles with MINTS information allow you to view the ranges of each part at a glance. UPC: 884088554521 Publisher ID: 0820283710278881$2.30QuantityAdd to Music ListTESTINGEPrint is a digital delivery method that allows you to purchase music, print it from your own printer and start rehearsing today.SATB #10278881E Titles with MINTS information allow you to view the ranges of each part at a glance.View Details10278881E$2.30Quantity 10 copy min.Minimum QuantityA minimum quantity of 10 is required on this title.

Just take those old records off the shelfI'll sit and listen to 'em by myselfToday's music ain't got the same soulI like that old time rock n' rollDon't try to take me to a discoYou'll never even get me out on the floorIn ten minutes I'll be late for the doorI like that old time rock n' rollStill like that old time rock n' rollThat kind of music just soothes the soulI reminisce about the days of oldWith that old time rock n' rollWoah!Won't go to hear them play a tangoI'd rather hear some blues or funky old soulThere's only one sure way to get me to goStart playing old time rock n' rollCall me a relic, call me what you willSay I'm old-fashioned, say I'm over the hillToday's music ain't got the same soulI like that old time rock n' rollStill like that old time rock n' rollThat kind of music just soothes the soulI reminisce about the days of oldWith that old time rock n' rollAw!Still like that old time rock n' rollThat kind of music just soothes the soulI reminisce about the days of oldWith that old time rock n' rollStill like that old time rock n' rollThat kind of music just soothes the soulI reminisce about the days of oldWith that old time rock n' rollHey!Still like that old time rock n' rollThat kind of music just soothes the soulI reminisce about the days of oldWith that old time rock n' rollStill like that old time rock n' roll

In an interview with the Detroit Free Press, Seger stated that the members of the Silver Bullet Band hated the song at first, but learned to accept it after it got great crowd reactions every time they played it live.

Known for the timeless rock portraits and character studies he meticulously crafted in the studio with the help of both the Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section and his own backing group, Seger arrived in the Chicagoland area with a reconstituted Silver Bullet Band now numbering 14 members Friday night.

That band does the heavy lifting. At 73, post-op Seger moves a little slower and sings a little lower. But three guitar players and a trio of background singers helped to offset that. Seger himself contributed acoustic guitar and piano to a handful of songs Friday night but, oftentimes, his vocals on the downtuned tracks were buried in the sound mix.

The band came out in full force, with clothes reminiscent of the '70s age of rock and energy like no other. Lead singer Josh Kiszika's vocals were powerful and raw. Needless to say, he didn't hold back, and wasn't shy about absolutely letting his voice rip during some songs.

With the rainbow colored Ferris wheel as the perfect background, the band played for a whopping hour and fifteen minutes. The screen projecting their performance was in black and white, adding to the old time feel of the show. 041b061a72

About

Welcome Zen - Den Friends - this is a community where you c...

Friends

bottom of page